Terry O'Brien is the Education and Outreach Manager for the West Coast Division of SOCAN - the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada. He has over 35 years‘ experience in various sectors of the music industry. He is also a composer, recording artist and performer of ambient soundscape music under the moniker Anomalous Disturbances.
Topics will include:
• Copyright 101 - A brief explanation and history
• SOCAN 101 – who they are, what they do & how performing rights organizations work
• New initiatives at SOCAN
• Royalties and licensing for music use; Music use in Film/TV
• Music publishing
• Brief explanation of other collective societies and the rights they represent
• Creators' rights issues and changing music business models - the good, the bad & the ugly
To register and for more information, please contact the store at 250-716-7261 or by email.